Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 6- Miles 474.2 to 482.6

To casa de Luna

I had determined that today was going to be an easy day. It was cold and windy so I waited a while to get out of my cozy sleeping bag. After studying the map and the elevation changes ahead, I was set to reach Green Valley and Luna house and call it a day. It would be a short hike to a restful night before a steep ascend the following day. 

I had been out of data for the last few days and feared I was worrying my family and friends with my silence so I had to go to town. I also needed to arrange my pick up location with the trail angel willing to help me get back to my car in Acton, so I could attend my daughter's concert on Sunday. I had to go to town.








I reached San Francisquito road by 1:30pm and hoped to hitch a ride instead of walking the 2 miles into town. But no one picked us up. Not even my imaginary gentleman dressed in firefighter attire, driving a well weathered Jeep Commando showed up. 
Apparently Booboo and I didn't look messy or young enough to be considered true hikers in need of a lift, so we walked.

I got to the market and devoured a ridiculously large sandwich and some treats. My guardian got a slim Jim. While having lunch, a talkative and friendly couple approached me offering to take us 4 miles down the road in order to avoid the big climb ahead. I turned them down and headed to Luna house.

Is that Rocky Balboa in a garden on the way to Luna house?

I found Terri Anderson sitting at her porch, ready to help and make calls for me. She helped me calculate my mileage (from a realistic perspective), call the rangers to make sure the trail was open all the way to my final destination (Hiker Town) and encouraged me to keep moving while there was daylight left.
I had just committed to cover 39.6 miles in the next 3 days in order to make it to my final destination. As my dear friend had said to me recently, it was time to go on "Dojo mode".


Terri dropped me off at the trail head at 5pm. Fueled by a great lunch, warm coffee and her optimism, I walked up the feared mountain in 50 minutes and continued walking as fast as I could until I could not see anymore, shortly past 7pm.
I hoped the trail police would not give me a ticket, but I had to pitch camp in the middle of the trail. Having been warned about daring and hungry coyotes from the start, I refused to walk in the dark while accompanied by my snack size guardian. I didn't have supper and fell soundly asleep shortly after changing out of my sweaty clothes.

Photos from day 6



the road ahead



We found water less often and in less quantity now. This was the only source in this part, which came from the small waterfall pictured bellow.






on the way to Green Valley

Green Valley fire house

the charm of hand made road signs equals true country to me

Green Valley market

Lunch and treats for Booboo and I


on the way to Luna house


looking back at Green Valley

The other side of the hill, after Green Valley.


No comments: