Monday, March 6, 2017

Base weight, food and other info

My DIY bag
I'm relatively new to backpacking and distance hiking. I'm also on a tight budget and dislike mass consumerism; so I try my best to up cycle and recycle as much as I can everyday. It is a very conscious choice that I am happy to make from an environmentalist's perspective.
These are the items that I carried for my first solo trip, 73 miles of the PCT.

Bag

I used a DYI backpack that weighs 14oz. Although it has started to show wear, it is holding on surprisingly well considering how unkind I am to it. I have loaded it with up to 35lbs or so without a problem.
It is my first bag, so it is far from perfect and needs many tweaks. I used this pattern for a Gossamer Gear G4 bag that I found for free on the web. I actually increased its dimensions thinking it would be too small. Now my bag is just massive for me. I'll stick to the pattern next time.

The materials cost me under $25 at the local Joann's fabrics, as I already had some notions in my sewing supplies. I line my bag with a contractor's trash bag that I have cut to size and press the edges shut with an iron.
I learned a lot by making my first bag and would like to make a second and third, until I get it just right. The one thing I loved about this G4 pattern, is the way the shoulder straps attach to the bag. It is solid construction and very secure. I have studied other patterns and they don't come close to it in its construction of this feature, so I will use this methodology for my future bags.
I will upload a link to my bag making process in the future here. 

Shelter

I usually sleep in a hammock, which my back adores. But the PCT is not hammock friendly, so I purchased an OUTDA 10'×10' tarp that I can also use with my hammock later on. I didn't want to commit to a tent for such a short trip and needed to upgrade from my blue hardware tarp for my hammock set up anyway.
I learned the trapezoid pyramid enclosed set up from this Papa Hiker's you tube tutorial. I also made notes of all set ups he teaches in a paper rag and keep them clipped to my tarp for reference. The rag comes in handy when wiping away excess moisture before packing.
My stakes are aluminum Y's found at Wal-Mart.
I used the knots as taught by Andrew Skurka here: bowling knot, McCarthy hitch and trucker's hitch using my reflective guy line cord cut to 5' sections.






Sleep system


My 2.5 lbs, 20 degree Sierra Designs mummy down bag for women is my only choice at the moment. Although it will be updated at some point, it has been with me for at least a decade and hasn't let me down yet. 

For my floor mattress, I chose Thermarest's Trail Scout. It fit the bill in weight, packing size, R value, cost and reviews. It performed beautifully. I never felt cold coming from the ground. Or anywhere for that fact, other than the air outside my bag.

I also carry with me a torso length strip of Reflectix (I carry a full length one for my hammock set up) It is a very versatile and helpful piece, perfect to use for seating while cooking or laying by the fire. I have made my food bag and pot cozy from it too. You can get the roll for $14 and share with friends. 

Under and above all, went my grabber blanket with reflective towards the inside. I used a zip tie and carabiner to close the corners and enclose my sleep system in a "bear burrito" style.



Sleep clothes

My sleep clothes were part of my system.
Pictured here are a sky/ fleece muff, my hand knitted wool hand/ wrists warmers, my super cool Peruvian hand knitted wool beanie hat and 100% cashmere wool hoodie sweater that I found at a thrift store.
This, 2 pairs of wool socks and my Patagonia cold weather base layer was plenty to keep me very cozy. In fact, I often had to take off the cashmere sweater in the middle of the nights in order to be more comfortable.













Kitchen and water filtering

My pot is an old aluminum 20 oz mug, handle cut, left from an old car camping kit. I will upgrade it down the road, but for now it works perfectly. I made a cap for it from disposable bakeware.

I normally use Esbit tabs, but due to fire restrictions on the PCT, I had to switch to a gas fuel system and a BRS stove. I carried the 3.5oz container and love it.
My wind screen is made of an Arizona tea can.
This is my collapsible cup, which works great for me.  I found it at an army surplus store in Burbank, packaged as a Coleman product.
It all nestles together and is stored neatly in a DIY nylon bag.
I used a large plastic fork and spoon for this trip because I left my trusty titanium spork at home, in FL.

For drinking water, I use a Sawyer squeeze filter and carry the cleaning syringe with me.
My system, in the middle.

Photography/ media/ electronics

My needs in this department are basic and straightforward.
An Anker 10k battery pack and my cell phone (LG Stylo 2) are enough for me. All photos on this blog have been taken with it.
I also carried a small aluminum tripod, tripod mount for cell phone and bluetooth shooter to have fun with videos while on the trail but they were never used. I was too busy walking!

Toiletries

Enclosed in a small, DIY cinch bag, my basic needs: Dr. Bronner's citrus soap as everything soap, including 2 drops as toothpaste. Toothbrush cut in half, not so much for weight but for packing size. Mouthwash, dental floss in a ball and floss stick. Comb. Diva cup. Deodorant top cut into small plastic container to be applied by hand. Foot powder carried in nylon knee high stocking folded over a few times. I love powdering my feet with just a few bumps of powder, there seems to be less waste and mess.
I didn't carry TP. I carried a biodegradable, washable paper rag as pee rag and cut from it when needed for solid waste. I used a tent stake and boot heel to make my cat holes.

Clothes

This set includes the clothes that I wore daily.
Tops: 
-Synthetic/ cotton blend muscle shirt 
- Synthetic/ cotton blend short sleeve shirt
- Synthetic long sleeve shirt
- REI SPF button down shirt

  Bottoms:
- Synthetic/ cotton blend pants
- Nylon shorts

- 3 pairs of wool socks
- 2 pairs of knee high stockings to use as liners

Underwear:
- I don't use a bra when I hike (free the cha-chas!) besides, it becomes just another smelly thing to dry. I use a cami or a muscle shirt as first layer instead.
- Underwear. ok, fine, if you insist.

Outer clothes: REI synthetic puffy (another perfect thrift store find) and 100% cashmere sweater hoodie if needed. which never happened, I only used this combo for sleep.


Dog gear/ clothes

If you are hiking long distance with your pup, you can be sure he/she will need protection from extreme weather just as much as you do. Because Booboo is so small, his presence is hardly felt in my bag. Here are his belongings:
- a set of rubber booties with reflective velcro closures.
- a water proofed rain jacket
- a synthetic puffy jacket and 
- a pure wool black sweater cut from a man's sweater sleeve (not pictured).
Booboo wears a harness and leash at all times, to which I have attached a little headlight. His harness attaches to a "D" ring on my shoulder straps with a carabiner, which can support his weight in case of a slip. the carabiner frees my hands so I can use with my hiking poles. 

First aid/emergency

I recently attended a survival class in which the instructor suggested to carry a fanny pouch with a small emergency kit and your most essential survival elements, in  case you had to drop your bag and run for shelter like he had to once in a storm. I thought it sounded like a good idea and gave it a try on this trip. 
Here are the contents of my fanny pack. 
 I carry my phone around my neck in a waterproof bag for convenience's sake, since it is both my camera and GPS. 

Eye glasses, "go girl" and wipes. Maze hangs from zipper pull.
Small SS multi tool with scissors. This little tool is one of my favorite and most essential pieces of gear.
 Battery pack (Anker 10K) and first aid bag
Odds and ends: charging cables, bluetooth camera shooter, bear bell, sanitizer, tweezers, cap light, magnifying glass, spark and dog treats.
Hand warmers, zip ties, large plastic bags for emergency shelter/ rain poncho, reflective ribbon, a few band aids, K tape, signaling mirror, paracord, emergency blanket, Aleve, Pepto Bismol, paper rag.
Cash, ID and debit card bundled with rubber band, loose coins, chapstick and Zyrtec for bee stings. Whistle.










Studio


Hopping to reconnect with my artistic side, I packed a small set of gouache paints, 2 pens and a sketchbook.

Security system

9 lbs of cuteness, a quarter gallon ziplock bag of kibble (to be mixed with Olive Oil and human food) and a small maze spray.






Water

I started my trip with 2 smart water bottles and a collapsible 1 liter bag from Walmart. I filled them fully any time I came across water. I went down to .5 liter but never ran out.
I use my 1L Sawyer Squeeze bag as dirty water bag to drink thru the filter and can carry up to 1 gallon if needed in dry stretches. Everything else is clean water. 

Consumables

For fuel, I used a 3.5 oz can of gas which nestled in my kitchen cup. 



 For Food, I started with what is pictured bellow. Besides from a lunch sandwich, chips and fruit at Agua Dulce and Green Valley, I purchased 2 packets of Ramen noodles (which I consumed without the flavor packets), 2 bottles of 5 hour energy drinks, a can of sardines and a sneakers bar for the trail. I dehydrated and packed my food ahead of time.

Bottom row, L to R: oatmeal (2x), plant based protein powder for women, Idaho mashed potatoes (3x), dehydrated tomato sauce, instant coffee ( which I seldom drink but appreciate having at hand if needed)

Middle row, L to R: protein bars, bullion cubes, tortillas (4), packet tuna (3), dehydrated spaghetti (2), dehydrated Spinach, 5 hr. fuel energy drink.

Top row, L to R: dehydrated black beans (3), dehydrated buckwheat (2), barley (2), kasha (2). Dehydrated vegetables mix with zuchinni, peas, string beans.

Not pictured: 1 qrt. zip log bag with dog food to be mixed with my own food for pup. I usually mix his food with EVOO (for extra calories) while hiking.

No comments: