Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 5- Miles 464.0 to 474.2

From Cold mud to hot rocks


Although the morning started very cold (as usual), it warmed up quickly, which helped dry the frost off my tarp. Condensation was no longer an issue, since I had learned to pitch the tarp properly.
Every night, as the air danced in my tarp making its way from the openings bellow, I bundled up. My nights were very warm. Frantic warm. If you are claustrophobic and own a sleeping bag, you know what I mean.

Every night as I got ready for bed and layered my clothes (tomorrow's clean top, Patagonia zip up thermal under wear top and bottoms, cashmere wool hoodie sweater, wool beanie hat, wool hand warmers, and 2 pairs of wool socks) I would assess the need of each carefully to avoid waking up hot. And every night, I failed. I woke up hot and in my haste wanting to get out of my bag, I would soon be sweating and almost hyperventilating with frustration from feeling so restricted. It is something I've had to deal for years of camping with my bag, reason why it will soon become a quilt. on a good note, I found that my $9 thrift store, 100% cashmere wool hoodie can get me stove hot very quickly. It was an excellent find.


In the morning I noticed my water was running low. I only had .5 liter left, so I started rationing our intake of it by having a dry breakfast of a protein bar.
The ground was muddy, wet and squishy but soon turned to hot crushed rock.

Immediately after crossing Bouquet Canyon Road, I noticed a signed pointing to a water cache. I was so excited to see the large number of bottles waiting there! Unfortunately, they were all empty. Rats.
But then, I heard soft murmur of a brook, followed it and... Jackpot!! 


Booboo and I enjoyed fresh, filtered brook water. I filtered and filled all my bottles.
This is when I met the second person while on the trail. He was old enough to be my father and could run circles around me. In fact, he was because he was a trail runner and left me in the dust, breathing hard as I went up the mountain with my pack duly loaded again.

Sleeping on the job!
As the day warmed up and we ascended, Booboo's panting got more intense and his pace slower. I picked him up and gave him a ride on my shoulders for about 2 miles, while he napped under the shade of the umbrella.

This time, under the blazing hot sun, my imaginary gentleman took the form of a strong, tall man with a radiant smile and dark skin with deep purple tones. His skin shone as small beads of sweat magnified its smoothness. He was riding a camel and again asked me if I wanted a ride. I smiled, turned him away again and continued walking. Even tho it might have looked like I was​ struggling to get up that mountain, I was having a great time in my mind!
With perfect hiking weather, a few steep ascends and enough water, I was able to walk my first double digit day since I started my trek. 10 miles down, many more to go.

We saw 4-5 other streams running today. 





Photos of day 5


Previous night pitch with porch. Trapezoid pyramid.

.5 littler left!

View as we walk away from camp

One of many cattle gates on the trail.

Water cache alert to the left!

all empty!

A welcome sight: seasonal brook


Resting under the shade, next to the brook.

Hot trail!

First time being carried, after hiking over 200 miles in 3 states. It was hot!


View from Booboo's point of view





a silver thread of fresh water


Bridge at PCT mile 473.4

No comments: