Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Day 3- Miles 454.1 to 460.6

Walking with a new friend

Jesse and I continued our hiking and camping conversation in the morning and decided that we would walk together a few miles on the trail to try out his new pack, gear and shoes for the first time.
While he packed, I walked around the beautiful grounds of Hiker Heaven and took some photos.















 Jesse is a young, eager and bright computer wiz who loves photography and wants to explore his talents on the trail. Around 12:30pm, with his bag weighting 42 lbs, we said our good byes to Hiker Heaven and headed north, out of Agua Dulce.





 When we parted, Jesse had learned that his pack and attire needed some revisions.

Shortly after we parted, I met the only person I would see for a good 50 miles on the trail. She was a pleasant older lady enjoying the view, taking a hike and mental breather after doing her taxes. She encouraged me and assured me that I was going in the right direction.


 It was a gloomy but pleasant afternoon. The air was cool and moist, the sun shone in patches as the wind played with the clouds above. I loved this section. My mind roamed freely as a I enjoyed the expansiveness of the landscape before me.
My first trail register!







As evening approached, I stopped at mile 460.6, after ascending about 1000 ft in 6 miles, at elevation 3894. I knew I had to summit this peak tomorrow and did not want to continue to head up with rain and bad weather in the forecast. I reconstituted some black beans, Kasha and veggies and headed to bed.  This is the spot where I pitched my tarp that evening, about 10 ft off the trail. It was very cold.

No comments: