Monday, July 6, 2015

Week 2 gone and counting...

Well, it is more like 1.5 weeks since I arrived here and already it feels like home. Even though I dont have one yet. The people are easy going and friendly. With 3 big box hardware stores, national and local grocery stores and mom and pop restaurants and businesses, I have everything I need at my disposal. Except money. Oh boy, how I wish I had more of it!!



Still, I am making some progress worth noting. This past week I started on my privacy fence, my diy, pay as I go project, that will probably take me the rest of this year. Then again, I think all projects around here will be of the same sort.


I also "planted" my mailbox by the curb (yes, I now have an address!! Woohoo!!) and started sketching some rough ideas for my outdoor bathroom, since it maybe a little while until I get plumbing and sewer here. Kiddo comes back in about 3 weeks and I need to have that bit figured out by then.

land surveyors inspect property. New mailbox = new address! 
My sink also will act as my laundry area so I am thinking of having a sink that I can put away when it is laundry time. Clean water will come vía a 5 gallon bottle (for now) and Grey water will be routed to the laundry pail until I get to plumb it going to the nearby water plants, so I only use biodegradable soaps and products.



Anyway, I'm sure you'll see more of my "bathroom" once I actually start on it.
I have been told that my tiny house maybe here as early as this week! I have contracted a local builder to come build it (shell only, on blocks) on site, so I can learn from the process. Get ready for lots of pictures!

In the meantime, here goes some of the highlights from this past week:
- I got my 911 address and I installed my mailbox.
- The lot was surveyed and the property lines were established.
- I started with installation of my privacy fence, which will surround the property on 3 sides, 477' total.
- Essential tools purchased this week: San Andreas tool (excellent to have handy when digging for posts), 3' level, 18" bolt/wire cutters, post level, Stihl model 170 chainsaw.


A buddy showed me how to use my new chainsaw and I started cleaning the place a little more beyond the bush hog. The Stihl 170 chainsaw is the perfect size for me and although the salesman assured me it would cut the biggest trees, I will stick to small and medium sized ones when needed. It is excellent for limbing and cleaning what I already have down on the property.  For now, as far as the trees that are in the way, their limbs will be reused or burned and logs will be striped of bark and used unmilled as posts or cut and stacked as  firewood. That is the plan until I can get a guy with a mill here.



So...I am looking forward to this week with great excitement. And, after digging 3 measly post holes by hand, I can honestly tell you that this sissy city girl is looking forward to purchasing an auger sometime (hopefully) soon!

No comments: