Thursday, January 2, 2020

Acorn hits the trail again.

 

Recently, I decided to take some time and hike the 32 miles of Big Cypress on the The Florida National Scenic Trail. The FNST is a 1300 mile footpath that crosses the state from one end to the other. The Big Cypress section begins at the southernmost end of the trail, found at  Oasis Visitor Center. This section is well known for its difficulty due to high water levels, deep mud and wildlife. With this hike, my intention is to start working on a much anticipated art project of painting the Florida National Scenic Trail as I hike it from end to end. It is something I have been wanting to do since I first set foot on the trail, shortly after I was given the trail name "Acorn", about 3.5 years ago.



Like the PCT and the AT, the Florida National Scenic trail has sections in which dogs are not allowed. There are also some parts where it is highly recommended that they do not walk, due to the wild life, sun exposure and hot, paved surfaces in these areas. I am taking the Florida Trail's rules and advice seriously and plan to leave my little 9Lb dog (AKA “One Gallon”) behind for the majority of this project. This makes my project a specially difficult endeavor for me, both logistically and emotionally, as my little dog is my constant, loyal companion. So far we have managed to hike almost 400 hundred miles together, including sections of the FT, my first solo section hike on the PCT, my first solo hike on the AT and a few other unusual paths.

Above, "One Gallon" sunbathing in the California mountains, morning view after our first overnight on the PCT, and starting a section hike on the AT. 

Rebecca, Stella and her younger sister on their college graduation day.
As I began to make preparations for my Big Cypress hike, my "What if?" voice came on. It was a loud and clear: "What if...?"  So I listened to it. I called my closest friend from college, abstract landscape painter and all around awesome woman Rebecca Klementovich, to ask her if she wanted to "snowbird" with my pooch from January through February. This would give me the opportunity to stay on the trail for an extended period of time to work on my project.To my delight, Rebecca accepted my invitation! She is ready, willing and able to get out of the snowy north east temporarily. After parting ways due to life, marriages, children, our mother's deaths, divorces and more, Rebecca's adventurous spirit is ready to experience something new and unexpected. Even though we have not seen each other in more than a decade, I could not be more grateful and moved by her faith in me as I follow my inspiration to begin my first major artistic project in years. And "just like that", my planned section hike through Big Cypress has become the very first steps of my Florida Scenic National Trail thru hike!

This is no longer a dream. It is official. My hike will begin with the season’s kick off, the weekend of January 3rd, 2020. I have registered my intention to complete a thru hike with the Florida Trail Alliance and I am now a member of the Florida Trail association. I have also sent the first required permit to walk on the private lands of the Seminole Tribe reservation, so I can hike the 19 miles the trail traverses through their property immediately after Big Cypress. 


As usual, it seems to me that I'm jumping into something huge "with both feet" rather quickly. This time I am giving myself permission to do nothing more than to explore my beautiful Florida on foot, experience it personally in all its beauty and paint the Florida Trail as much as I am inspired and able to do so. I don't think it can get any simpler than that. I see this hike as an artistic pilgrimage, a “reset button” of sorts.

Many who start this trail wanting to finish it in one season don’t reach their goal for a variety of reasons. My goal is not only to reach the northern terminus but also to create an inspirational body of work worthy of sharing. Along the way, I look forward to learning some of my state’s history, visit its Gateway communities and complete the Florida Trail Association’s Passport Program. I hope I can do this in three months, as that is the time I have available to be on the road. I hope my lucky stars continue to guide me and protect my intentions to grow with the trail, and that I am allowed to reach my goal this year. 

Admittedly, I am not in the best shape at the moment. In fact, I am quite chubby for my standards. Will my legs fall off? I bet not. Although I know it will be difficult, I am confident that my body will adapt well. The timing is perfect and I don't want to let another short and beautiful Florida hiking season pass again. The resources seem to be springing from the ground like crystal clear water for me to take, run and make something happen. But most important of all, I am ready. I am no longer intimidated by the naysaying and reproaching voices and faces in my life. In fact, they help fuel my resolve and guide my actions. Since I can no longer hide from myself or live at the mercy of others' expectations of me, my only option is to do it, come what may.

I invite you to follow my walk via this blog page, FacebookInstagram and/or my YouTube channel, which I will update regularly while on the trail. If you see me walking nearby, please make sure to say hello!  I know I will need and appreciate your support during the long journey ahead.

I'll see you on the trail! 

No comments: