Wednesday, January 8, 2020

The beauty of "us". Day 1.

Last night, I started my 2020 
#FTArtHike a little perplexed and on the wrong foot. I drove myself and my friend to Big Cypress National Preserve, to the place I thought was the beginning of the trail only to realize that I was 18 miles west of my destination. With my friend long gone and on her way back home, I set my tent behind a park building in the dark. A bit desilutioned and afraid of the rustling noises coming from the tall grass behind me, I wrote about my dilemma in the FNST Thru hiker class of 2020 support group on FaceBook.



Within moments I was contacted by fellow hikers who were on their way to get me. They took me to the campground where the FTA had just held the official Trail "kick off" (Trail Lakes Campground) and offered me food and comfort. The following morning they offered me thru hiker wisdom in the form of a much needed "shake down" and a ride to the Oasis Nature Center, the official Southern Terminus of the Florida National Scenic Trail.  
Morning at Trail Lakes Campground.
Day 1 Breakfast: egg drop soup 

Tonight I am in my cozy tent and warm sleeping bag, accompanied by a new friend after having hiked the first few miles of this trail. And I am smiling.
FNST Southern Terminus monument at Oasis Nature Center.
"Solution Holes" along FNST at Big Cypress.

The events in the last 24 hours have reminded me of how wonderful it is to be part of something larger than me, something that needs people to function, a big "US". 

Living in my cozy house, surrounded by my gadgets and comforts, I often forget how important that word is: "us". One does not have to be in a romantic relationship to be part of an "us". The thing that makes someone a part of an "us" is sharing a gift, words,  wisdom, time and love of life with others. Lending a helping hand, allowing yourself to feel empathy and see beyond political lines, skin color, educational background, gender, religion or any other differences we may have. That is what makes "us". 

"Fawnie", Paul, "Missing King", Aaron, Joe, "Boxcar", "New Bear", Sandra, Chris, the ranger who gave me his personal compass and a reminder of how to use it before my trek, and so many more to come...Thank you for being part of my "us". You are beautiful for sharing so much of you with me and allowing me to be part of your "us". 
For those reading these words, may your body be as achy, tired, cozy grateful and hopeful someday as mine is today. ❤️

Trekking synopse:
- 12:17pm Begin walking
- 5:30 pm. 10 mile camp at mile 9.5 
- My pack is ridiculously heavy at about 35 lbs with water and food.
- Need to ditch my DIY pack ASAP. It It is good for a weekend, but terrible for longer treks.

Great first day! 

No comments: