Monday, April 24, 2017

My first week at Paradiso Pereti

View from the patio

LOVE

I have been here for a week and two days. Although to me, it is just a week after getting over my jet lag.

In this last week I have had little time to do much thinking or my own things, other than resting. Although I have been given a stern forewarning by my host not to overwork myself, I have managed to do so entirely and gladly by choice.



After so many changes in my life and, being forced to live alone rather quickly, it is difficult to walk away from the warmth of a happy home, no matter how tiring it may be.
In the last week I have met more people here than I have hosted in my home for the last year that I have lived there, and I love it.


It is difficult to walk away from a pouty three year old who can easily defeat a grown lawyer in court when making an argument as to why he should have a sweet treat. It is difficult to walk away from the colorful flowers that cheer my mornings every day; from the chubby little baby who smiles a beautiful toothless grin and shakes her clenched fists and feet with excitement when she sees her parents and older brother.
It is hard to walk away from a kind voice, showing you patiently and gently how to do something. From the smiling and appreciative guests who treasure every minute of their visit, the views and the clean air here. From the chatty neighbors  that make borrowing baking soda a reason for celebration. And the friendly locals who pop in to help in one way or another: cleaning, maintaining the grounds, building structures, delivering wood or anything else. It is difficult to step away from the soft voice singing a foreign lullaby in the distance, late at night as I ready what is needed for the following morning down in the kitchen.

This week I have been busy cooking, serving, washing cars, assembling Ikea furniture, cleaning, watering flowers, planting vegetables, driving out of town, feeding the cat and chickens, baking, getting wood, raking pine needles, watching kids, waiting, helping.

My accommodations at Paradiso Pereti.
As my second week as a volunteer worker in Agriturismo Pereti begins, I find that I need to commit myself to becoming more strict with my time and remember my own reasons for being here: to somehow extract the lost soul and talent of the artist I used to be from the person that I have become.
And as I pull my self away to the yurt tonight I realized why it is hard for me to walk away: LOVE.

360 view from the entrance to the yurt
There is love here. In the care of the self the land, the plants, the structures and the creatures that live within and around them; wether they are human, animal, insect or other. They all receive love from someone in one way or another.

After years of living in a stressful state of mind due to relationships, finances, health or other, it is strange to live productively in a place where harmony is a norm.
I have asked myself repeatedly if life can really be this simple and happy. I know it takes courage to create this life. To follow your heart and keep your priorities and choices intact. To live the way it makes sense to only you, regardless of judgements, media, trends, scare tactics and other influences that make us doubt ourselves. You know, a place where hard work is a joy because it brings a tangible product of love forth, regardless of how much money you are given or "earn" in recognition of it. A place where you live to exist and enjoy your days without guilt for doing so. Sometimes there seems to be so much chaos in modern society that being in a wholesome, functional state is the exception rather than the norm. I am trying to fall out of that mode.

Breakfast served after careful instructions from my host.

I think I have made an amazing stride in finding part of the lost soul I am in search of.

The key word for me this week is LOVE. And this is where it lives for me right now.


Photos from week 1


No comments: